2023 Summer Reading Challenge - On the Bedside Table



Raquel Stecher over at the Out of the Past Blog hosts a summer reading challenge every summer. She tracks new books and reviews film related books/bios throughout the year. I have "entered" the reading challenge over the past several years. I have yet to actually complete and blog about the books I've been reading. Determined that 2023 will be different this year where I shall complete 6 books and will post reviews about them here.

So here are my selections for this summer reading challenge:


Book #1 on the pile

It has been eons since I've read a book on either Viv or Larry and this one tempted and it is up first on the pile. 

Book #2

I Know Where I'm Going is one of my true desert island movies. It is a thoroughly romantic and magical film and both Wendy Hiller and Roger Livesey are fantastic. Not to mention Pamela Brown. One of Powell and Pressburger's finest. This updated edition from the BFI library should be a great read.

Book #3

I remember so much the famed appearance of Elizabeth Taylor on the Johnny Carson show and I paraphrase when Johnny asked her about Richard Burton, "They're MY memories." was her reply. This new book on Elizabeth Taylor had access to her archives, letters and personal papers. Looking forward to this one.

Book #4

King Vidor's 1928 film The Crowd is one of the films that represents the pinnacle of silent film. The year 1928 in many ways is that decades version of the sound era in 1939. Silent film was on its last legs and this film is unforgettable in telling an ordinary tale and the backstory of one of Hollywood's greatest tragedies, that of James Murray. Long one of my favorite films, tragically the film itself is not on home media DVD/Bluray.

Book #5

In the earliest days of cinema it was a boom time for Women in Hollywood (and all over the world) as prime movers and creators of film. Many women were creators with real power, be it the written word or directing and producing, women were not taking a backseat to the men. So many names have been forgotten and shunted aside to make room for male producers and directors in film history. This book will help shift the balance and I am looking forward to reading it.

Book #6

Lastly, Scott Eyman's biography of the legendary John Ford. John Ford made many great films over five decades. He is much beloved (and could be personally reviled) with an impressive body of work. I can count several as personal favorites and one that is so well loved by many; hailed as one of the greatest westerns ever made as one I just cannot stand to watch. Looking forward to Eyman's great research and elegant prose.

First review coming soon! #ClassicFilmReading #OnTheBedsideTable


Comments

Popular Posts