Le Giornate del Cinema Muto - Pordenone Diary Day 3



Pordenone diary day three or The Crash or How I Hit the Wall. So it would seem that my Monday was completely shot. The jet lag combined with lack of sleep just killed me so I missed two full programs and that is that. Compared to my British and German compatriots, I am a festival failure lacking stamina.


I made it to program one which was more of the series Riscoperte/Rediscoveries. The first film was a stop motion animation entitled in the jungles of Africa. This was circa 1921 to 24 and identified as to the studio who produced it. The little story was of two dolls who were stop motion animated who traveled was it to their garden in dreams or was it real? Helped along by their trusty teddy bear the pear balloon out of their bedroom and landed in the jungle. They were met by a lion and some trusty monkeys lifted them to a palm tree to avoid being eaten by the lion. Then they met up with two natives who commented how tender and appetizing the pair looked. The two natives were none too smart since our friends friends all and mary tricked them into inflating the balloon by which they escaped back to their bedroom and then to bed before morning. It was simultaneously creepy and creative and a nice one real short the musical accompaniment of course was handled beautifully by Gabriel Thibaudeau.


Snowy Baker

The next film was from Australia circa 1920 and it was called the man from kangaroo and starred snowy Baker. Now I know absolutely nothing about snowy Baker except he was very athletic a good swimmer and diver and rode horses OK. The story was of Snowy Baker former pugilist now minister who doled out advice to the youth how to box along with bags of sweets. This much to the chagrin of some of the mothers of the community. He also was in love with the local heiress. She returned his affection, but, her trustee wanted her (or more accurately, her money). Ultimately he is transferred to another county where it is much more dangerous being a minister is looked upon as something not necessary in the town that is filled with corruption. So he gives up his ministry and becomes the Australian version of a cowboy. After a few plot twists he reunites with his girlfriend and rescued her from the town bad guys and ends with a lovely silhouette happy ending. It was quite a fun film I’m looking forward to more Snowy Baker later on this week. Again, the musical score was by Gabriel Thibaudeau which was as lively as the action on screen.


Having discovered the wonderful Ellen Richter on the first day we were excited, at least I was, to see Lola Montez. My desire to see the film was overcome by my bodies need for sleep. The film was long, clocking in a few minutes shy of 2 hours and incomprehensible to me as I fought sleep the entire time. I did manage to be alert by the time we got to Akt 6 of the film. This was the reel that had almost no footage existing so it was almost entirely title cards. The final shot of the film however was the best. A gorgeous shot of the carriage carrying Lola Montez away from Bavaria down a fog shrouded lane and as the carriage disappeared into the fog and the word Ende came up on the screen. Returning to my hotel I rode up in the elevator with several scholars who I respect. They had remained awake and came away from the film feeling that it was a real slog to get through and the best thing about it was the Ende. I would like to give it another try of course when I’m awake hopefully I will get the opportunity because I do like Ellen Richter a lot. Looking forward to her long, 3 part film on Tuesday Der Frau Mit Den Millionen. 


Ellen Richter as Lola Montez

Because of my exhaustion I opted to skip the Korean program.  The films there were more propaganda type films and I felt I just couldn’t deal with them so my bad. The nap was much needed and much appreciated.


Fully intending to go see the final program which was the At the Masquerade Ball and Jokeren from Denmark unfortunately the film got missed. It was not due to lack of sleep or anything like that it was a dinner that was what you would call a slow meal. I really regret missing this film because I wanted to see it very much and mistakenly assumed it was going to be uploaded to the Denmark film site it’s not there yet so hopefully I will have an opportunity to view it at home soon because it looks fabulous. I cannot however regret the dinner that I enjoyed it was my second meal of the day which featured porcini mushrooms. Mushrooms being one of my favorite foods and fresh porcini is something that is not available in the United States. I can only say that the appetizer of porcini on a cheesy polenta was mind blowingly good. The pasta course with porcini mushrooms was equally astounding. Followed by a walk back toward the hotel by way of my favorite local Gelateria and a cup of delicious hazelnut gelato finished the evening. I ended my evening not with a silent film, but, streaming the first episode of the new series of Endeavour before falling into bed and exhausted sleep.


So two good meals and two servings of gelato make it a day that was not entirely wasted. And now it is day four I am awake and ready for the first screening so I will post more later.

Comments

Lisle said…
This is so helpful! Now I know to go a few days before the event starts. It will also help me maximize my gelato intake. I wonder, how early would I have to go to be able to try every flavor?

Popular Posts