Le Giornate del Cinema Muto - 39th Edition


 If the world were not dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic, I would be flying to Italy next week for the 39th edition of the Le Giornate del Cinema Muto silent film festival in Pordenone. It was been on my bucket list for about 30 years. My first trip to Italy was to include a trip to visit the birthplace of Rudolph Valentino, a place I am honored to say to which I have a standing invitation. As we all know, as we all are, we're locked down, sheltering in place and working from home (at least I hope we all are).

My lamenting, whining about not being able to make the trip has been mollified by the announcement that there will be a shortened version of the festival from October 3 through October 10, 2020 and it streamed online. While it is not the trip I wanted to make, it will be a delicious treat to dip my toes in the water.

The festival features some great programming and three levels (price points) for passes. That said, each level will allow you to watch every film and event scheduled. So for the bargain price of just under 10 euros, you can experience this festival. If you have the means to buy a pass at a higher tier, well you know they can use the money. The schedule of films and events can be found here.

While we cannot be in the Teatro Verdi in person, we can enjoy the festival in our jammies at home. The films will be available to stream each day for 24 hours to enable people from around the globe, in different time zones to enjoy the films.

Do not miss this great opportunity to experience one of the greatest of all silent film festivals. I am looking forward to it and will be blogging about it daily. Hope to see you there! Next year, I hope to see you in Pordenone, proper!

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts