On the Bedside Table - Summer Reading



As part of my summer reading this year, I picked up a copy of Cari Beauchamp's My First Time in Hollywood, a terrific compilation of recollections of directors, producers and, of course, stars of the silent era about their impressions of Hollywood.  This book is an utter delight with stories by such film pioneers as D.W. Griffith, Mary Pickford, Lillian Gish, Gloria Swanson, writers Frances Marion and Anita Loos, and directors Henry King and Cecil B. De Mille (and many more names, familiar and not).  It gives you a terrific insight into what old Hollywood was like.  The passion and the adventure of making films in the silent era.  Just fantastic and a terrific companion to Kevin Brownlow's The Parade's Gone By.  Highly recommended!  Cari Beauchamp is one of my favorite authors and you cannot go wrong with her books Without Lying Down (biography of the great Frances Marion and still remains one of the best biographies I have ever read, it remains in a place of honor on my book shelves) or the equally delightful Adventures of a Hollywood Secretary.



I have been slow to mention this incredible book by James Layton and David Pierce, The Dawn of Technicolor 1915-1935.  It is both lavish and filled with incredible detail.  I confess, I have not yet finished looking through it and absorbing it.  The book is so rich with detail and gorgeous illustrations.  It deserves a real leisurely look and a large table to hold it, it's huge!  Highly recommended, it is in every sense of the word an incredible achievement, piece of research and stunningly put together.  Totally worth it!


Available for pre-order is what promises to be a fun and beautiful book Hollywood Celebrates the Holidays: 1920-1970 by Mary Mallory and Karie Bible.  This will be published before Xmas 2015, so just in time for the Xmas stocking of your favorite film buff!

That's all I have time for today! 

Comments

Tinky said…
They all sound great! Now I just have to find the money and time to spend on them....
Lots of good stuff here! Definitely going to order, First Time in Hollywood!

Popular Posts