National Film Registry - The Son of the Sheik (1926)



Rudolph Valentino's final film, The Son of the Sheik was added to the National Film Registry in 2003. You can learn about the National Film Preservation Board and the National Film Registry and nominate films to be added to the list, by visiting that link up there!



As part of a plan to expand knowledge of the films in the National Film Registry, film historians and authors have been invited to contribute essays about each of the films.  I could not be more proud!  The Library of Congress/National Film Preservation Board recently posted my essay for The Son of the Sheik.  I am in a group of august company! Some fine writers and historians such as J.B. Kaufman (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs), David Kehr (The Birth of a Nation), Eileen Whitfeld (Poor Little Rich Girl), Ron Hutchinson (The Jazz Singer), and Richard Barrios (Love Me Tonight) to name but a few.  To say I'm chuffed, is an understatement.  If you want to read mine, scroll down the alphabetical list here.  Every single one of these essays is worth a read!  I'm about 1/4 of the way through the list, so far, and have thoroughly enjoyed what I've read and learned a lot!



I feel like it's my birthday today!  Woot!

Comments

Excellent article! I especially like your final thought, that even if this was the only Valentino film we still had, we would be able to tell why he was such a big deal.

Popular Posts